This past week has been a bit mind blowing to say the least.  As some of you may have seen, we made the announcement that we are having a baby.  After the first of the year, I started working from home and our medical insurance changed which was the perfect recipe to give IUI a try.  All 3 of our toddlers are going through the adoption process, that also meant this was perfect timing to take a rest from in taking any more foster children right now.

As soon as we announced that we were even trying IUI, the question about what our adopted and soon to be adopted children would feel about it.  The question of how would they feel about one of us having a biological child.  At first, I felt the same way, I did not want them to be slighted or feel any negative feelings about this.  After all, none of us in the house are biologically connected, this would change all of that.  Then after we found out that IUI took, my whole out look changed.  We chose each and every one of them, we actually picked them to be our children, to me our adopted children have a leg up already.


To be honest, before we actually were pregnant, I could take or leave Kristin carrying.  I thought I never wanted to carry a child or have a biological child of my own.  My mind frame was also that I personally would rather give a child a home that is already in this world than bring another one into it.  But the passion Kristin has always had, to just feel a baby inside of her, I understood that too.  It would be selfish of me to just keep taking in more children and ignore something that she has always wanted.  

Now that we are pregnant, I am amazed already.  I will never forget the morning when we actually found out.  Kristin walked into the room where I was working, like it was nothing telling me she took a pregnancy test.  It was 2 days before the scheduled blood test with the fertility doctor.  As she was in the room getting some things together to begin the day, I went into the bathroom.  I glanced at the test sitting on the bathroom counter...it literally said "pregnant", I began to shake!  I ran into the room where Kristin was and screamed "Congrats babe, you did it".  She immediately had the look of shock and cried thinking I was joking.  I showed her the test and we cried hugging for about 5 minutes, then realized we have to begin our day now, we cannot stand here all day.

We did this together and are going through this brand new experience together. Being a same sex couple the odds are already against us.  But we fought for this child just like we fought hard for all of our children.  Genetics has nothing to do with it, its just about growing as a family.  Funny thing is, I was the one who wanted a big family,  I just never imagined getting each one of them took so much strength and would be so emotionally draining at times.  

Before announcing to anyone that we are having a baby, we told our kids.  We sat down on the living room floor and discussed that mommy has a baby in her belly.  All four of our children screamed with excitement!  Then individually we asked each of them how they felt about this all happening for us.  Needless to say, we are making room for another life to make way in our home and feel even more complete and together than we did before.

Popular Posts